Special Needs Documentation

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Kace90

Special Needs Documentation

Post by Kace90 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi

I'm a child care group leader in the three yr old room and i have been asked(told) to set up weekly goals, evaluations and a routine which is step by step which comments are written down in each section to comply with funding requirement. on top of the weekly programing and evaluation I have worked out a few documents on my own but feel they are not user friendly and if any other alternatives are out there.

Thank you :)

Lorina

Re: Special Needs Documentation

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Kace, :P

First a quick a question:
written down in each section to comply with funding requirement

can you tell me what do u you mean when you say "comply with funding requirement"?

Also you can find the developmental checklist on this website and use it as a weekly objectives and goals for the children. even though it is specified for an individual child, you can re-word these for your group of 3 yr olds. Click on the links below to read them:

Development of Preschoolers 3-4 years

Can you also tell if if all of your children are special needs or is it a mixture of all?

Lorina

Re: Special Needs Documentation

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi Kace90,

I am not sure if you've found the info you were looking for... no worries, I have the following information which may help you out 8-)

Yes, due to funding requirements you will need to provide a lot of documentation to verify the level of support, care and developmental learning of the child with additional needs.

By funding, I assume with a support agency (SUPS, DOCS etc), that provides assistance to your centre in relation to the child with additional needs.

Regarding the documentation that you are acquiring, it is definetly a necessity in regards to the child's development and how you are including the child with additional needs into your program and routine.

I do have a few ideas I'll share regarding the style of programming and hopefully this will give you, an easier and simpler way. :D

Program:
I suggest that the program be divided in each developmental learning areas. For example, you could have different boxes with each developmental areas as a heading and in each box you could write an activity/ experience which corresponds to the developmental area. E.g
Physical Skills (heading): “Playdough With Scissors” (activity): “encourage child to hold scissors correctly and develop small muscle control by manipulating playdough” (aim/objective). It's important however style your program is to identify the aim/ objective for each of the activities/ experiences that are on your program. They don't have to be too detailed. Just simple, “encourage child to name shapes” etc.

If you are using a developmental checklist for the child with additional needs I suggest that you use each of the “milestones' that Xavier suggested in the previous posts as an aim/objective in your program. Depending on the type of additional needs that the child has, this should be used to assist the child and working towards goals not as a basis for observing the typical development of the child.

Weekly Goals:
Underneath your program you should write down (maybe 2 or 3) weekly goals the child/group can achieve. This can be added on your program in a separate box/column so they can be viewed or displayed by teachers and parents etc. Like mentioned previously, you could use the developmental checklist as weekly goals for the child/group.

Weekly Evaluation:
If you decide to do the 'developmental learning areas” as part of your program style just name one as “Weekly Program” and the other “Weekly Evaluation”. In each box write a brief description in each of the developmental learning areas of how the activity went, if the child engaged in it, etc. Also add info of whether the weekly goals were achieved or not...

Routine:
It is important to write a detailed routine for the child/group. Start from when the centre opens and the child/group arrive to when the centre closes. For example, 7am to 9am (child arrives at the centre, child begins free play/quiet activities etc). I hope this gives you an idea...

I know it sees like a lot of extra paperwork that has to be done but once you get into a flow of it, it becomes part of your routine. So don't worry, it will work out... :mrgreen:

I hope this gives you an idea...

Can you let me know if this helps you out :?:

Cheers :geek:
L.A